Detour Lake Mine, Ontario, CA
14 days in, followed by 14 days off
Rate of Pay:
Salary, Commensurate with experience and qualifications
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Based at the Detour Lake Mine site, we currently have an exciting opportunity for Exploration Geologists or GIT’s (Multiple Positions) to join our Exploration team reporting to the Senior Exploration Geologist.
Detour Lake is the second largest gold producing mine in Canada with the largest gold reserves and substantial growth potential. The open pit mine is located in northeastern Ontario, approximately 300 kilometres northeast of Timmins and 185 kilometres by road northeast of Cochrane, within the northernmost Abitibi Greenstone Belt.The mine is situated in the area of the historic Detour Lake open pit/underground mine operated by Placer Dome which produced 1.8 million ounces of gold from 1983 to 1999. The Detour Lake operation has a mine life of approximately 22 years with an average gold production of 659,000 ounces per year.
The Exploration Geologist/ GIT will be responsible to provide geological support to the exploration team that will focus on logging exploration drill holes using current software.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in assuring the quality control and quality assurance of samples;
- Monitoring and evaluating geological and assay data quality;
- Ensuring geological data is collected to specified standards and QA/QC protocol is followed and drill logs are error free and validated;
- Complete field visits to drill sits to check drill site locations and ensure drill and exploration programs are conducted to high standards and samples are collected and transported to the assay lab efficiently;
- Directs and coordinates employees assigned with consistent Company policies, procedures and standards;
- Aid in completing weekly KPI’s, including assigned drillhole tracking and core logging related tasks;
- Monitor the work and performance of core technicians.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Earth Science program, or Bachelor’s of Science;
- Must either have a membership as a Professional Geologist in Province of Ontario (P.Geo) or be eligible for and working towards a professional accreditation in geology in Ontario;
- Minimum one to three years’ of experience working in an open pit, underground mining or exploration field;
- Experience core logging using a standard geological software;
- Class G Driver’s License is required;
- Experience using and/or interpreting various types of geological data in a GIS (ArcGIS or Map Info) platform for exploration applications;
- Strong computer and data management skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication;
- High safety standard.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
Together, we are building a world-class gold mine and our success is determined by the hard work and dedication of our team. All of our team members are rewarded with a competitive benefits package and on-the-job perks, including:
- Competitive Salary
- Travel Allowance
- Group Benefit package
- Training and learning opportunities
Should you be the successful candidate for this role, you will be contacted by a member of our Human Resources Department to schedule an interview.