Detour Lake Mine, Ontario, CA
14 days in, followed by 14 days off
Rate of Pay:
Salary, Commensurate with experience and qualifications
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Based at the Detour Lake Mine site, we currently have an exciting opportunity for Senior Exploration Geologists (Multiple Positions) to join our Exploration team reporting to the Exploration Manager.
Detour Lake is the second largest gold producing mine in Canada with the largest gold reserves and substantial growth potential. The open pit mine is located in northeastern Ontario, approximately 300 kilometres northeast of Timmins and 185 kilometres by road northeast of Cochrane, within the northernmost Abitibi Greenstone Belt.The mine is situated in the area of the historic Detour Lake open pit/underground mine operated by Placer Dome which produced 1.8 million ounces of gold from 1983 to 1999. The Detour Lake operation has a mine life of approximately 22 years with an average gold production of 659,000 ounces per year.
The Senior Exploration Geologist will be responsible to for planning and managing multi-faceted surface exploration programs to generate new resources and advance existing resources to production at the Detour Lake Mine.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supervise geological work (core logging, mapping, sample collection, QAQC), to ensure CIM guidelines for best practice for exploration;
- Reporting and interpretation of geological data and developing geological models to be used in resource estimation and working with other exploration geologists to advance concepts and ideas.
- Planning and coordinating the details logistics of active drill programs to ensure drill holes are prioritized to product expected results and activities happen in a cost effective work schedule;
- Planning drill hole locations and expected deviations for drill hole traces to effectively test the mineralization and exploration targets as directed;
- Calculating mineralization composites and complete interpretation of geological information to document results of drill programs;
- Completing required weekly, monthly and quarterly reports;
- Complete field visits to assigned projects to ensure drill and exploration programs are conducted to high standards;
- Plan and coordinate any type of assigned exploration program including geological interpretations, diamond and RC drilling, geophysical and geochemical, surveys, mapping, trenching, compilation etc.;
- Set up contracts for various geological exploration programs and supervises Contractor work on assigned projects, ensuring adherence to all safety policies and procedures.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Tertiary education in Geology and membership as a Professional Geologist in Province of Ontario (P.Geo);
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience involved with yearly stage, advanced exploration or an Open Pit or underground mine environment, specifically Archean Gold deposits;
- Capacity to coach, guide, influence and develop other Geologists and Technicians;
- Strong ability with geological software (Datamine or other 3D software, Fusion, DH Logger, AutoCARD, ARcGIS, Map Info, etc);
- Strong computer and data management skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication;
- High safety standards.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
Together, we are building a world-class gold mine and our success is determined by the hard work and dedication of our team. All of our team members are rewarded with a competitive benefits package and on-the-job perks, including:
- Competitive Salary
- Travel Allowance
- Group Benefit package
- Training and learning opportunities
Should you be the successful candidate for this role, you will be contacted by a member of our Human Resources Department to schedule an interview.